The Functions Of A Proxy Server
A private proxy server is basically a combination of single or multiple software and hardware that are designed in a way to provide certain networking facilities to customers. It could also be considered to be a software or hardware which provides services or some system which runs a server operating system.
Therefore a private proxy server could also be referred as to firewall mechanism which is present as a substitute of IP Address, for a protected host network, which has a temporary addresses for all kind of the information that is passing through. Decision are made by it whether to authenticate a certain client or user IP Address, to permit the network access and to establish connections on behalf of users, with some remote computer.
It is basically a computer which acts as an intermediary or interface in order to make connections between 2 or more computers, having varying protocols & that are present at different remote location over web.
When a user (computer) attempts to connect to another user to look for any resources such as files, web pages, connections, etc available on their database, it is the proxy server that evaluates if such connection is permitted according to the existing settings on the remote computer. When the private proxy server authenticates that these conditions are met, it then makes the request on behalf of the user and establishes the connection.
Proxy servers can respond to client or user, can also make modification of their requests, or respond to client’s request without making any contact with server. This is done by usage of the cached similar responses that are present at the remote server which are being requested from resources.
The other functions include:
1. Time is reduced to access certain resources.
2. For evaluation or auditing process, a log is served in order to give data on web.
3. Parental control or security gets over ride by it.
4. Regionally restricted resources are also accessible.
5. Due to security or anonymous browsing, clients are retained under cover.
6. Unauthorized site or unwanted stuff is blocked.
7. It also scans and filters the malware before making the delivery of requested resources.
8. It blocks some outgoing data, by serving as a scan. It is done for protected files.
Though, it acts as an intermediary, who basically do acts on behalf of more than 2 clients or users, proxy server may also be placed between clients, or at the destination servers that are present on web, in order to serve its functions.